Friday, October 8, 2010

Shining Star





My roommate and I wanted to add some decorations to the wall above our T.V., but could not think of a theme that would look good in our randomly decorated apartment. So...we thought about what we loved most. The beach! I had found a star fish on a trip to the Bahamas a few years ago, and it was just collecting dust at my parents house. So, we decided to frame it. I got a really cheap hot plate at Goodwill and knocked the plate out so that we could use just the frame. We painted the frame brown, distressed it a little bit, and stapled some large chicken wire onto the back of it. The staple gun can be tricky to use, especially if you don't have a hard surface to bear down on. Also, I am sure that this would have looked much better with some smaller chicken wire, but since I could not find any at Home Depot, this will do for now! This project cost me a total of $1.50. Can't beat that!

You will need:

* Star Fish (You could probably find them at a craft store)
* A frame that you love (Any thrift store, or an old one from your house)
* A staple gun (I suggest investing in a good one!)
* Chicken wire (You can find them at home depot. If you find smaller chicken wire somewhere else, let us know!)
* Paint (Get some "oops paint" on sale at Home Depot. They usually mark them down on Thursdays.)
* Sand paper, nails, a hammer. (Anything that can distress the paint a little bit)

This is a picture of what all we put above our television and a picture of how it looks from farther away. Our wall looks orange in the picture, but it is a light coral. Lighting changes all colors, geez!




4 comments:

  1. So Cute! love that idea! What does the wall above your tv look like now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll post it in a second with the coral frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! The living room is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so great!!! i love everything! and have some of them haha;)

    love
    ps call me next time you go to a garage sale/thrift store!

    ReplyDelete